THE MURPHIUS GROUP Opportunities
Find your career with us
Claims Manager (Independent Agency / Commercial Clients) – Southeast Michigan
Under the direction of the Vice President, Risk Services, the Claims Manager leads critical value-added claims advocacy initiatives for clients. Serves as key contributor to the internal property/casualty team including partners, producers, account managers, assistant account managers, and risk services staff. Represents and serves in an ambassador role for Agency at individual client, prospective client, and industry meetings and events.
- Responsible for the oversight and continued development/improvement of the property/casualty claims division. Ensures clients receive prompt, accurate, and professional service that is consistent with our claims model.
- Educates clients on claim management techniques, including the importance of early reporting, documentation, and potential warning signs of deteriorating claims.
- Monitors all agency claims, assesses their level of exposure, coverage, and responds with appropriate communications/interactions.
- Actively develops and maintains working relationships with carrier claims adjustors and leadership.
- In conjunction with clients, establishes client specific claim handling expectations and clearly communicates them to carrier/captive partners.
- Advocates for clients with carrier/captive claims staff on desired claims strategy. Willingness to professionally challenge assigned adjustors on claims assumptions, strategy, reserve status, exposure and plans for resolution.
- Coordinates all claims file review meetings. Documents, creates summaries, communicates results, and assures appropriate follow-up on all action items.
- Identifies, manages, documents, and immediately notifies agency partners, producers, account managers, and risk services staff of potential large loss (over $100,000) claims.
- Tracks all aspects of large loss or other significant claims including reserve status, pre-litigation strategies, discovery and court deadlines, investigations, and resolution plans.
- Participates in prospective client capabilities presentations and meetings. Aids in the development of claims related marketing materials.
- Communicates insurance industry related claims news, trends, and legal updates to clients via website, social media, and articles in industry association communications.
- Stays abreast of current trends, issues, legal precedents, strategies, technology, and networks with other claims professional groups, seminars, conferences, etc.
- Completes special project assignments as requested by Agency Partners or the Vice President, Risk Services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in insurance, risk management, business, or closely related field. Advanced education and professional certifications/designations, such as ARM, CAWC, AIC, CRIS, CWCP, CPCU and 10+ years in property/casualty claims adjusting, analysis, advocacy, or management background.
- Superior organizational and time management skills. Strategic intelligence with the ability to execute at the tactical and task level.
- Fluency with Microsoft Suite applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Access, etc. Understanding of how to navigate internal software and data systems.
- Expert interpersonal and communication (written/verbal) skills to collaborate effectively with a wide variety of business associates including clients, co-workers, insurance companies, etc. in the exchange of information and resolution of outstanding issues.
- Able to work in a standard office setting, as well as client locations, job sites, and travel locations as needed.
- Able to make presentations to small and larger groups, both remotely and in person.
- Capable of prioritizing, multi-tasking, maintaining accurate detailed records, and forecasting/planning to execute necessary responsibilities