THE MURPHIUS GROUP Opportunities
Find your career with us
Commercial Lines Underwriter – Up to Sr. Level (Remote / Work-from-Home)
Seeking Work-from-Home Commercial Lines Underwriter!!! All lines, new and renewal business with a strong Mutual Insurance Company.
Under limited supervision and with independent judgment, review insurance applications to
evaluate each risk to determine acceptability, coverage, and pricing by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Review and evaluate insurance applications, renewals and endorsements within defined authority,
approve, modify or decline risks.
2. Determine and authorize reinsurance, if necessary.
3. Communicate with agents and internal staff to collect necessary information to perform risk
4. Build and maintain positive working relationships with agents and internal staff; assists and
responds to inquiries by telephone, correspondence, agency visits, and visits to insured operation.
5. Maintain profitable business in territory through proper selection, pricing, and monitoring of
6. May provide leadership to junior staff by assigning tasks, training, and providing guidance. May
provide input to management regarding junior staff performance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or four to six years related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals,
technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and
procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of
managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions proportions,
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations
where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Intermediate knowledge of a personal computer, including Microsoft Windows, email
software, internet browser and Microsoft Office applications. Working knowledge of an office
environment and standard equipment (fax, calculator, multi-line telephone, scanner and copier).
Certificates, Designations and Licenses:
Related functional training such as Associate in Underwriting (AU), CPCU or other insurance education
- Industry leading healthcare plan including low deductibles compared to many industry competitors
- Dental, vision, life insurance, long term, short term disability, AD&D, Long Term Care Program and FSA
- 401K with match
- Competitive Paid Time Off (PTO) Bank
- Annual Incentive Bonus Plan
- Home Office Setup
- Educational Assistance and Tuition Assistance
- RETIREE HEALTHCARE COVERAGE
Information provided is a summary only. Detailed information is available in individual plan documents and the employee handbook. Rates and details are subject to change.