THE MURPHIUS GROUP Opportunities
Find your career with us
Rules Architect (Commercial Lines Underwriting) – REMOTE
Work for an amazing Regional Mutual Insurance Carrier!!!
Under general supervision and with independent judgment, responsible for the development, execution, and oversight of Commercial Lines rule decisioning supporting our objectives of improving agent experience and maximizing straight through processing while maintaining underwriting integrity and profitability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ownership of all Commercial Lines rules and responsible for oversight of the rules process
2. Design a rules taxonomy and architecture to provide a cohesive framework for the development and implementation of Small Business rules
a. Define taxonomy of required rules capabilities (e.g., rules storage, reporting, firing, rules mgmt., performance, migration) to successfully implement and maintain rules.
b. Taxonomy to include categories, sub-categories and information related to rules (e.g., change frequency, complexity, applicable geographies and products, etc.)
c. Focus will be on underwriting rules addressing product appetite, referral and flag rules, exposure thresholds, account handling, risk appetite and selection, and report ordering and reconciliation.
3. Determine changes needed to existing Commercial Lines rules’ structure and oversee transition to the future state rule methodology partnering with the necessary stakeholders and subject matter experts.
a. Extract and rationalize existing rules
i. Identify duplicate rules and opportunities to combine similar rules
ii. Eliminate unnecessary rules and identify additional rules that may be applicable
iii. Establish dependencies amongst rules to understand rule sequencing
b. Define process for rules creation, updating and versioning.
i. Perform rule testing – unit, system, acceptance, regression and automated to ensure rules execute as expected
ii. Responsible for rules documentation
4. Formalize rule performance monitoring to assess effectiveness and identify needed adjustments.
a. Develop streamlined processes around rule testing, execution, and deployment to improve speed to market.
b. Conduct detailed rule analysis and final rule review with rule owner and associated business analyst before implementing new rules or changes to existing rules
c. Develop analysis and feedback loop between the rules’ organization, underwriting, product management and other capability areas.
5. Stay abreast with Business Rules best practices and new trends.
- Commercial Underwriting and Product experience
- 5+ years experience with an external rules engine (FICO Blaze preferred)
- Industry leading healthcare plan including low deductibles compared to many industry competitors
- Dental, vision, life insurance, long term, short term disability, AD&D, Long Term Care Program and FSA
- 401K with match
- Competitive Paid Time Off (PTO) Bank
- Annual Incentive Bonus Plan
- Educational Assistance and Tuition Assistance
- RETIREE HEALTHCARE COVERAGE
- Home office set-up