THE MURPHIUS GROUP Opportunities
Find your career with us
Senior Health Underwriter (Partial Work-from-Home)
Client is looking for an experienced Senior Health Underwriter who will provide extensive industry expertise and analytical support to Client’s sales and consultative work with Michigan public schools. The underwriter will evaluate and optimize health plan expenses, secure coverage from commercial insurers and stop-loss carriers, analyze plan performance, support face-to-face client and prospect meetings, and help design innovative risk management programs unique to Client. This position will also guide and oversee the design of reports and tools to convey complex information in a simplified, consistent, and repeatable format that provides practical insights and recommendations for all employee groups including executive leadership. The Senior Health Underwriter will work with single employer cases and state-wide analysis of trends. This position will report to the Chief Program Administrator.
WHO WE ARE
Client is a non-profit company that was created after a monumental shift in school funding happened in 1965. Client, which began in 1971, served as an employee benefits association focused on offering comprehensive and affordable employee benefit solutions to Michigan public schools and their employees. Two years later, its partner organization was formed to administer compensation and fringe benefits for Company. As schools were faced with more challenges related to insurance, Company evolved and grew into a company that provides workers’ compensation and property/casualty services for Michigan public schools.
Today, Company continues to expand and find creative ways to meet the specialized needs of its members. This, coupled with a superior member experience, is why it has maintained its position as an industry leader in the school insurance market.
We value those who proactively solve challenges, simplify the complex, thrive in a fast-paced setting, have a customer-first mentality, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment. We are also listed on the Business Insurance Best Places to Work. We offer 100% employer paid insurance (medical, dental, and vision), Paid Time off (PTO), and paid parental leave.
Our passion is delivering peace of mind to Michigan public schools and we look for team members who are motivated by our cause.
WHO YOU ARE
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support Michigan public schools through their challenges. You seek understanding and are motivated to tackle projects and problems with the customer in mind. You anticipate needs and preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives and roles.
You are a detail-oriented and experienced individual with ten years of medical underwriting experience. You have a demonstrated knowledge of self-funding benefit plans. You possess strong technical skills that enable you to efficiently analyze, as well as execute work with an effective balance between urgency and precision. You have exemplary interpersonal and communication skills to address various audiences both internally and externally. You are able to understand and adapt to the Michigan public school culture in order to best support our members. You are able to prioritize deadlines, customer service, and quality measures. You possess an in-depth understanding of data analysis tools, such as Microsoft Excel®. You are a dedicated employee and a team-player.
- Evaluate, quantify, and communicate healthcare plan risk and performance data to executive leadership and provide recommendations in strategic planning sessions.
- Perform claim performance funding analyses and modeling.
- Analyze releases of data under Michigan Public Acts 106 of 2007 and 579 of 2018.
- Design ad hoc and systematized reports to convey health plan information to internal and external customers.
- Develop illustrative rates for self-insured programs, carve-outs, and employer funding of clinics/HSAs/HRAs.
- Analyze differences in excess contracts terms and conditions and specific decease/condition carve-out coverages.
- Consult on medical plan design options, network participation, and alternative claim pricing models.
- Monitor compliance with carrier reporting requirements included in insurance contracts.
- Assist with carrier rate negotiation.
- Perform IBNR and claim lag analyses.
- Analyze plan renewals and rate exhibits.
- Analyze school compliance with the “Publicly Funded Health Contribution Act”, PA 152 of 2011.
- Develop risk management programs, including using risk pools, captives, and third parties.
- Support external sales and consulting staff by providing analysis and reports to be shared with schools.
- Compose school-friendly executive summaries and commentary on specific and general medical claim findings.
- Use third-party tools to augment health plan performance analysis and communication.
- Bachelor’s degree in math or science-related field or equivalent
- Ten years of medical underwriting experience with at least one carrier, TPA, or consulting firm
- Demonstrated knowledge of self-funding benefit plans
- In-depth understanding and ability with Microsoft Excel® and other specialized data analysis tools
- Strong technical skills to enable efficient analysis
- Ability to execute work with an effective balance between urgency and precision
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to address various audiences internally and externally
- Ability to understand and adapt to Michigan public school culture
- Ability to prioritize deadlines, customer service, and quality measures in dynamic environment
- National Association of Health Underwriters, Registered Health Underwriter (RHU) certification or Chartered Healthcare Consultant (ChHC)
- Competitive salary
- 100% Employer paid benefits (2nd to none)
- Well above industry average 401k employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement
- Free parking