THE MURPHIUS GROUP Opportunities
Find your career with us
Underwriting Specialist (Remote with multiple locations available)
The Underwriting Specialist is responsible for managing a book of business for our Nonprofit Human Services, Education and our Religious Organizations for profitability and growth, including responsibility for advising other underwriters and support staff on technical systems, processes, procedures, and consulting at the highest level of technical underwriting authority. The Underwriting Specialist fully reviews both new and/or renewal business, assesses risk of coverage, prepares quotes and responds to coverage questions, within the assigned authority level. Reviews and approves underwriting decisions for lower authority level underwriters. Prepares recommendations for review with a Commercial Lines Manager if policy is outside prescribed authority limits. Builds successful relationships with agents to drive increased, positive business flow. Works under limited supervision and exercises significant independent judgement in performing work.
As the Underwriting Specialist, you will be responsible for the following:
• Analyzes exposures and determines acceptable risks for complex niche business to determine coverage and premium that is both adequate and competitive in the marketplace.
• Often handles or provides support to a more complex state, risk, regulatory environment, and CAT exposure.
• Takes a tactical approach to underwriting in order to achieve desired profitability and growth of book of business within established goals and business metrics.
• Exercises judgment and latitude based on industry experience in order to evaluate risk and make or recommend decisions as part of the overall department strategy.
• Analyzes inspection reports, location, risk, and financial reports to accept or reject new and renewal business in property and casualty lines.
• Manages risk portfolio to ensure the assigned book of business is tracking with established goals and key business metrics.
• Reviews, approves and or peer audits underwriting decisions for lower authority levels.
• Works collaboratively with Underwriting Assistants on accounts and agency relationships within assigned underwriting territory.
• May provide work direction to lower authority level underwriters and underwriter assistants.
• Provide backup support for commercial lines manager in their absence or during times of increased work load.
• Builds successful relationships with agents to drive increased, positive business flow.
• Takes initiative and seeks out new business opportunities.
• Communicates with Loss Control and Risk Management for inspections.
• Assist in training and mentoring lower level underwriters
• Performs other related work as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• High School diploma, or equivalent.
• Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance or related field of study preferred.
• Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Insurance Institute of America (IIA) or other related industry designation desired
• Six years of progressively responsible experience in commercial underwriting, including three years in a property and casualty insurance company preferred
Rich Benefits Package:
• 401K includes a match up to 6% at 100%.
• Generous time off program including; personal, holiday, and volunteer paid time off.
• Flexible work schedules.
• Wellness incentives.
• Free Basic Life and AD&D.
• Free short-term and long-term disability.
• Educational assistance program.
• 3 different medical plans options to meet individual needs, including dental and vision.
• Company sponsored community volunteer opportunities.